Monday, April 17, 2017

Airsoft GBBR experiments

Ok, so when a friend offers to let you paint their cool airsoft guns, you cant say no can you?
Even when he throws a few mags after youve finished and says please paint these too.  Ah scope creep in comissions,  at least it comes with funding creep!.

I rather like how these experiments turned out.  The M4, Im told is a G&p gbbr, and a ptp 1911 make up his more practical aresenal. (dont ask me why he wanted to keep the orange tip on the pistol but not the rifle)   NIR on this rifle looks pretty good though the pistol suffers from the same problem as the nerf guns.  My suspicion is I base coated this with a darker earth color and despite spraying a lighter tan over it in places, the tan is translucent in the NIR causing the light to be eaten nicely by the darker underlayer.  Interesting lesson to learn. Start with the brighter colors that are known to be NIR "compliant" and then paint darker so that you add contrast, just in case some of the colors turn out to be translucent in thin layers in the NIR.   Also, take extra care to degrease that annoying silicone oil from the mags or paint will never stick.










Then we have my favorite, the experiment at a visible spectrum "high visibility" Tech scheme, that in the NIR is actually a decent NIR "compliant" "camo".   Im quite happy with how this one turned out and he apparently is to.  Though he wants the bottom and his mags to stay black so those will stand out in the NIR.... oh well. I do agree the contrast looks cool as hell.










Also, as a side note I discovered some more interesting info.  I was using duracoat paint chips to estimate NIR compliance.  However in contacting them they informed me that (had I been thinking duh) they use a printer to print the inks and it is not actually paint on the test cards.  So the NIR compliance based on the cards is silly.  However!  this made me wonder why some behaved differently than I expected and looking more into it discovered some inks are very bright or translucent in the NIR.   I then remembered a strange phenomena I dismissed a while ago where the printed labels on my paints were blank white in the NIR.  So food for thought, consider mixing inks in with dark paints to push their NIR compliance, depending on if the ink is reflective or translucent in the NIR.  Broader solution space for painting investigations!

But back to my regularly scheduled program. All this painting of big things got me itching to paint smaller as well so I started a few Silent Death Spaceships,  Alt-WW2 fighters etc.   Soon to a blog near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment